Thursday, May 27, 2010

Tah-daaaahhh!

Hello, Amy.


I finished this wall quilt not long ago, and while the photo doesn't do it justice, I am quite proud to have it done. Working on it once again made me think back over the last decade and recount my accomplishments and setbacks (but mostly the positive stuff), and it has helped me to see how far my sons and I have come in the time that has passed since beginning this particular quilt.

"Reading Rainbow" - Log Cabin, Chevron: 34.5" x 52"

When I began this little color study I was happily building/running a  children's bookshop in a very rural area of mid-Michigan, but my marriage was falling apart. Creating quilts kept me sane and able to focus on more positive feelings for the sake of my sons, and while I quilted I found I could let my mind wander over more pleasant thoughts. Some quilts would hang in the bookshop (for decor mostly), with each season or holiday represented by a new quilt. Some would even find a new home and bring in needed $.

Eventually (sadly), I had to close the shop & find full time employment (during the divorce) to satisfy home bills, and this particular little quilt found itself packed snugly away for 10 years! I was overjoyed to discover it was still safe & sound after all this time (in a storage box in the garage), so it came inside to be finished (with so many other quilt tops).

I still can recall the trip through the fabric store with my sons to pick out the proper backing material (they chose this hysterical dinosaur motif by Alexander Henry, of course).  My freehand machine quilting has come a long way, too, and I find the process much easier than when I began to machine top stitch all those years ago.

My entry decision was a toss-up between this colorful primary Log Cabin piece and an Ocean Waves-version baby quilt I made for a cousin, his wife, and their first child (April 28th blog entry).

Thanks for looking in and have a great day!

7 comments:

Barb said...

What an awesome log cabin quilt - great job!

Angie Padilla said...

What a beautiful quilt - I hadn't seen a Log Cabin set this way before. Lovely bright fabrics. Thank you for sharing your story!

erin lebeau said...

beautiful quilt & quilting! http://erinlebeau.blogspot.com/

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

A stunning quilt and I can see how this helped to brighten your days...so good to read that you did come across it unexpectedly and that you do have sweet memories of your boys picking out the backing.

I am a novice quilter and have so many unfinished quilt tops and parts! I noticed your wonderful quilting, especially throughout the yellow fabrics. I have never yet tried to do the free motion quilting...Are there any helpful pointers you might be able to share on doing this?

Blessings & Aloha!
(I finally have some free time so am trying to get to more amazing Quilt Festival posts!... so happy to see yours. I would love to have you pop over to my place. And if you get a chance, please let me know by leaving a comment. :o)

Rie said...

Beth, FINALLY!!! People can get a chance to see what an amazing quilter you are. I Love the Log Cabin and the colors are amazing! Thanks for joining in!

Eileen said...

very beautiful and so happy to see a bit of the quilting in the yellow--i couldn't see it in the other colors with my old eyes. thanks for sharing it and about your journey. have a great day. come visit me if you get a chance

Laurel H. said...

This quilt is beautiful--and I love the back!