Sunday, August 28, 2016

One quarter

No, I don't mean 25¢, I mean one quarter of i4 is found - and in place.

It may not be fast progress, but it is progress.  Second best year I've had working on this quilt since 2013.

Odd jobs

You know how life can sometimes get in the way?  Well, once in a while it's a good thing that it happens that way.  Recently, I had one of those circumstances; I worked a commercial shoot for Pizza Hut yesterday, so absolutely no time was given to quilting - of any sort. [insert totally disgruntled face here]

Today, however, will be a different story, as I intend to finish i3 layout and begin i4, PLUS stitch i3 together this evening.  Woohoo!  I'll let you know how it goes.  In the meanwhile, what are you working on?

Sunday, August 21, 2016

OK, so I did a little of both - some stitching and some extra piecing. 

Seeing as how my ankle is now officially killing me, I am leaving the standing and searching for another time.  Fifty percent of i3 is found and in place, and the seaming has begun on i2.  Hooray for compromise.

For the time being, I have some laundry 'brewing' and a couple of back episodes lined up on Netflix, so I will see you on the flip side.  It's time to put my foot up and catch up on a little crazy quilting.

Decisions, decisions

Torn between stitching together i2 or continuing the piecing of i3.
What to do.... what to do.

Saturday, August 20, 2016

A little more progress

Karl and I went out for brunch to our favorite local greasy spoon, and it was a good experience for him.  I won't go into the whys of it all, but just know that it was not a bad outing. 

Afterwards, we ran errands, and that made for a very full day.  A long afternoon in the car or walking through businesses - not exactly his favorite way to spend a day - and by the time we got home, Karl was sporting a headache.

Just now he is in bed napping (hoping it vanquishes that headache), and I am trying to make some extra progress on i2.  One of our stops included JAF, where I managed to score six additional light greys, and a medium jade blue (from the discount rack, no less!).  When we left the house i2 had been pared down to six missing inches, but with these new greys, I should have no trouble finishing the block and moving on to i3!

So, tomorrow I think there may be better/different news.

Oh, and before I forget, I also managed to spend some time joining together another full Dresden on the large crazy quilting project.  Feels good to see progress in that realm, too.

Friday, August 19, 2016

i2... taking entirely too long.  Eleven bloody inches to locate, yet.

Sunday, August 14, 2016


Over fifty percent complete with i2.

Excitement of excitements.

Saturday, August 13, 2016

Moving right along

Finished putting i1 together last night, in the sweltering humidity.  Even after the storms blew through my area, it was cooler but still so very uncomfortable.  Happily, I am able to concentrate on the end to the first block of Row I, and announce that 25% of i2 is now in place, and I will continue to work diligently at it for the foreseeable future.

What's on your agenda or under your needle?

Thursday, August 11, 2016


It just dawned on me that Row H was completed several days ago and I didn't post a photo out here, where I normally boast and crow and enjoy my accomplishments.  However, since there seems to be no interest from anyone outside my four walls, I won't bore the unknown 'webisphere' with a waste of pixels. 

Suffice to say where there was once a single four row unit (ABCD) there is now a second conglomerate unit (EFGH) - and the two together look fabulous!  The sum total of these two sections equals 9,040 inches!  To put it into more concrete (or, more abtract?) terms:

I have developed calluses on the first knuckles of my index and middle fingers on my left hand!  Go figure. 

And mathematically speaking, there is now about a year's worth of time invested in woman-hours.  To be precise - one year and twenty days; roughly 7,953 hours in just piecing and assembling the individual blocks (and blocks into rows...and rows into large units).  None of this takes into account the 'cleaning' up of the work area and/or mass cutting of pieces, or the searching through my stash - or expeditions through other folk's piles of scraps - to locate necessary colors. 

Now, think about this. There are another six-and-one-partial rows to go before the top is complete and I can begin thread painting.  Then, the joining of the three-plus multi-row sections; the creation of the 'sandwich' and the final quilting; the binding and finally... the sleeve - these all need doing before I can breathe a sigh of complete contentment.  BUT, I am ever so much closer than I was before, so this is me crowing.

Oh, and if you want to see what the excitement is all about, all you need to do is ask.

Now, if you will excuse me, this sticky day is dawning and my beautiful work light is arriving, so I need to stand up and walk away from the keyboard.

Monday, August 1, 2016