Sunday, March 31, 2013

Here's a crazy thought

Yes, there's quite a bit more.  I just didn't get it all in the frame, yikes!
What if I simply began to make quilt tops using up the sizable stash I've managed to amass? 

That is to say, I would continue to complete whole quilts - commissioned pieces, competition stuff, personal quilts and the like - but what if I focused mainly on putting together a large assortment of tops and then went to art & craft fairs with these quilt tops to sell.  Just displayed the tops and let folks decide they liked a certain top and then commissioned the quilt to be finished. 

. . . .

And, if someone liked a pattern/design, but not in the color way displayed, I could simply get their color preferences and make a whole new quilt based on their desires.  Sort of like how people buy cars....right?

It would use up the ol' stash in a significant way, and it may entice people to actually see the quilts in the work stages that make up a quilt, and not just a finished "blanket."  People always try to undervalue and dicker down the price on a quilt (no matter the size), I believe, because they don't understand the work which goes into the entire object.  The time, the planning, the piecing, electricity, materials, effort, the talent, the practice and patience, the love, etc., everything that becomes the quilt.

Perhaps seeing a quilt in process would help folks understand the work and time and effort and value of the finished project.

Perhaps I'm just dreaming and need someone to pinch me.

No comments: