Friday, January 21, 2011

Just realized something

I seem to be stuck in a pink and brown rut; not intentionally, and not unhappily, but still....a rut's a rut. Ya know?

Between fidgeting with the color placement of the new project I am currently working on, and tinkering with the old quilt squares assembled years ago (and 'unearthed' some time last year), it appears to me that I am looking at an awful lot of pink and brown. Seems the only way to fix the trouble is to dive into something new and different....but of course that would mean not finishing those other lovely projects - and I PROMISED myself I wouldn't do that any more!

[wagging finger in my own face] x x x x x x x x x x x x x No! No more fresh starts with new colors until you've whittled away at the current pile. No, no, NO!

So, I'm dividing my quilting time between those two specific quilts; I've found myself just about ready to assemble the finished squares (old pink and brown) into rows and finish that top. Although I need to put together a few more squares to actually complete the top (which will be a snap). The biggest hurdle is deciding whether it will be sashed, or assembled using alternate squares of plain blocks with the pieced squares.

Originally I was going to place the blocks side by side (as the photo shows), but this would leave me with a single-sized top -- a coverlet, at best.

No, that will not do; I need to make my quilts utilitarian for my family, no two ways about it. In this particular case, larger is definitely better.

This weekend I will piece together the last few squares and then begin the top assembly, hopefully succeeding in completing the backing as well. Perhaps this week will find me basting another 'sandwich' - wouldn't that be delicious!(?)

No comments: